Saturday, November 20, 2010

RIP Pat Burns

I was only around 11, or 12 when Pat Burns took over as head coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs so I don't remember a lot of his time with us. Back then I was more into playing road hockey and collecting hockey cards then I was actually watching the game on TV. 

I do however remember the wild playoff run Burns led us on in '93.  The city, which I had just moved from, was still buzzing from the Toronto Blue Jay's second World Series victory in 2 years.  The Toronto Argonauts took the Grey Cup, and Leafs were poised to make the city a winner for a third time that year.  Alas, it was not to be, but still, it was a wonderful year for Toronto Sports fans.

In the years following, I was able to get a lot more familiar with Pat Burns as a coach, and as a personality in the NHL community, and I always got a kick out of his sound bites.  There are not a lot of coaches like that left these days.  He was old-school.  He took shit from no one, and when he was upset about something, he let everyone know about it.  He exuded passion for the sport.  He was also a warrior, surviving cancer on two separate occasions before finally succumbing to his 3rd bout with the disease at the age of 58.


The biggest shame in this story though, was one that has been around for a few months now, and that involves the Hockey hall of Fame choosing not to induct him this year.   Many people were upset with this outcome, and with good reason.

This man won 3, count them 3 Jack Adams awards (Coach of the year) with 3 different teams.  And not only 3 teams, but 3 Original Six teams: Montreal, Toronto, and Boston.  Not to mention winning a Stanley Cup with the Devils.  I would say that deserves a first ballot entry to the HoF, wouldn't you?

Even if there was a legit reason to over look him, wouldn't you figure, given his health situation, the people that decide who goes in the HoF would have voted him in so he could at least enjoy the fact he was a Hall of Famer for the short time he had left?

I am almost positive that he will be put in the HoF this year, but it seems like a real dick move on the part of the HoF committee.  They will induct him now, not because it is the right thing to do, but more to make themselves look less dick-ish than they really are.  We see this a lot in Pro Sports, where ego and public perception dictates what decisions are made.  And I for one find that sad.  Fucking scumbags.

One thing I did notice was the lack of reporting on the matter from Toronto Star writer, and I use that term lightly, as he is one of the worst, most negative, hack writers on the Leafs beat, Damian Cox. 

Remember it was this Cock (this is a more appropriate spelling) that had to break the news on twitter 2 months ago that Burns was dead, even when the man was still alive and well.  Cock then tried to defend his lazy journalism by saying he got the info from a public figure, and therefore did not need to check the facts.  The Star article was handled by another writer, Rosie DiManno.  Normally I would add a link to the story I have just mentioned, but I hate the Star, actually I don't care for any of the big papers anymore, so fuck em.  No link for them!!

My condolences to the Burns family, as well as all his friends both in and outside of the hockey world.

That is all for now
Until next time...

Stay Angry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment